Improve Your Golf Game
Apr 11, 2017
By Dr. Josh Bross
By Jay Patel, Speed and Explosion Specialist
Spring is here, the Masters are over (congratulations Sergio Garcia!), which means golf season is in full swing (pun intended). The world’s top golfers and amateur golfers know that to lower your handicap you need to stay in shape.
Specific exercises targeting muscles that you will use on the golf course will help enhance your golf game. Men’s Health has put together a 4-week plan for golfers at any experience level.
With this program you will improve your flexibility, which will provide more range in your swing. More force and acceleration will be created as you prevent deceleration and lead to more distance in your drives. Lastly your foundation or core will become more stable, this will help you control your swing thus leading to better consistency. Exercises may seem unfamiliar but all have been proven with science and research.
Here’s the complete workout plan. How it works:
- Do the Release, Reset, and Ready drills in a row before each workout and on rest days.
- Alternate between Workout A and Workout B four days a week, resting at least one day after working out two days in a row. Do the lettered exercises as supersets, completing one set of each before resting. Continue this process until you’ve completed all the sets for both exercises. Repeat until you’ve completed all of your sets for each exercise.
Release, Reset and Ready Drills
- 4-Move Mobility Drill
- Alternating Crossover
- Elbow Rock Back
- Alternating Straight-Leg Raise with Band Pull
- Rib Roll
- Serratus Punch
- Half-Kneeling Med-Ball Side Chest Pass
- 2A Single-Leg Straight-Leg Deadlift/2B Arm Bar with Screwdriver
- 3A Dumbbell Row to Kickback/3B Half-Kneeling Cable Chop
- 4A Lying Kettlebell Pullover/4B Lower Trunk Rotation
- Lat Hang
- Kneeling Overhad Med-Ball Throw
- 2A Breathing Goblet Squat/2B Pushup to Single-Arm Support
- 3A Half-Kneeling Cable Press/3B Tempo Split Squat
- 4A Kettlebell Half Getup with Neck Rotation/4B Diagonal PNF
- Lat Hang
After all this hard work and training you will be ready for any golf course!
Below is a link to all the videos for the 4-week program.
4-week Golf Workout